[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Removing non-pthreads support

Ramiro Polla ramiro.polla
Tue Apr 20 18:11:31 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Gianluigi Tiesi <mplayer at netfarm.it> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:29:44PM -0300, Ramiro Polla wrote:
>> this is my latest patch against pthreads-win32 CVS 20091019. compiles
>> and links and works fine with both gcc and msvc (the later was asked
>> by an ffms2 dev) and any combination of those 2. what it does is:
>> - remove the false wsock32 dependency
>
> the dep is not false :D

would you care to reply to
http://sourceware.org/ml/pthreads-win32/2009/msg00053.html
with a reproducible testcase then?

>> - remove the requirement for PTW32_STATIC_LIB to be defined for using
>> the library in mingw32 (like faac did)
>> - hint the linker (currently gcc and msvc) to run the initialization
>> code before main() or DllMain().
>
> declspec constructor/destructor
> are enough, just register pthread process attach/detch

not if you want msvc interoperability.

> also I've made /lib/libpthread.a
> as:
>
> GROUP (-lpthreadGC2 -lws2_32)
>

> so it will act like unix

I'm not sure what that does... could you point me to some
documentation on the matter?

>> I'm not sending them upstream myself (busy/lazy), but feel free to
>> split them up and send them...
>

> pthreads_win32 upstream? looks unmaintained

Pretty stagnant, yes, the 64-bit patches haven't been applied yet, but
it seems Ross Johnson is still at least following the list.