[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Removing non-pthreads support

Dave Yeo daveryeo
Wed Apr 21 06:06:20 CEST 2010

On 04/20/10 03:43 am, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Dave Yeo<daveryeo at telus.net>  writes:
>
>> On 04/19/10 02:16 pm, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
[...]
>>> To ease the maintenance burden, I suggest we drop support for all but
>>> pthreads in FFmpeg.  If there is a compelling reason for keeping any
>>> of the others, please speak up now.
>>>

>> Make test succeeds on OS/2 with pthreads enabled whereas os2threads
>> are currently broken.
>
> Then I suppose nobody will miss it if we remove it.

I think it should be totally rewritten. In the absence of a volunteer to
rewrite it (I'll ask around), it should probably be removed in a week or so.

>> The pthread library is incomplete though most things linked against
>> them do work.  http://web.os2power.com/yuri/PthreadTls
>
> As long as it has everything FFmpeg needs to run, that's good enough
> for us.

The other problem is that the file my_os2thread.c is copyright (C) 2000
MySQL AB under the GPL v2+. It would be nice to get it relicenced as
LGPL or better. I'll research this as parts are also copyrighted by
MySQL under the LGPL.
For now I think it would be fine for the pthread library to only be
available with --enable-gpl as the main uses for FFmpeg under OS/2 are
GPL, eg MPlayer. If someone really wants a threaded LGPL version of
FFmpeg they could always write one.
This also raises the question of how the Win32 version of Pthreads is
licenced, our source comments are all Win32 specific.
Dave