[FFmpeg-devel] Integrating the mod engine into FFmpeg - what is the best design approach?

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Mon Aug 9 17:25:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> A Audio decoder should return PCM. Doing something else is requireing all
> applications that use libav to be changed. I dont see the point in going this
> way

PCM what? Float is useless if the soundcard supports only int. The
idea was to use SAMPLE_FMT_something and wrap into audioconvert.c to
do the actual sequencing to (and from?) PCM. Applications would use
audioconvert.c to convert between SAMPLE_FMT_* anyway, so it would
still work without modifications to ffplay.c or API changes. Apps
would not have to be aware of the libavsequencer API, and in fact we
(mentors) have said repeatedly that he shouldn't focus on
sequencer-specific stuff, but on things like transmuxing and so on
first. I guess that didn't quite come across...

Ronald