[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Add AVStream.opaque

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Mon Aug 23 15:54:43 CEST 2010

On date Monday 2010-08-23 05:12:28 +0200, Luca Barbato encoded:
> On 08/22/2010 12:03 PM, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm considering to add an opaque field to AVStream, which would be
> > filled with application ad-hoc data.
>
> void *priv_data;
>
> already present and used apparently used on ffserver isn't that already?

Yes and I believe it's a misuse of the API.

* priv[_data]
  Referenced in AVStream.priv_data, AVCodecParserContext.priv_data,
  AVCodecParser.priv_data, AVCodecContext.priv_data, AVFilterContext.priv.

  The priv_data field is usually used by the *library* to set in the
  stream some internal data, as such AVStream.priv_data is used for
  many formats in libavformat (just grep for priv_data).

  So I suppose the meaning of "private" in FFmpeg is "private to the
  library, should not be accessed by the user".

* opaque
  Documented in AVCodecContext.opaque as:
  "Private data of the user, can be used to carry app specific stuff."

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Frenzy and Friendly Monstrous Picky Energized Governor