[FFmpeg-devel] Read this if you are porting filters from MPlayer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Dec 3 03:46:24 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 05:58:26PM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > Its great to see all the porting effort.
> > Its less great that the quality of alot of that is kinda uhm...
> > Ive the feeling people just want to, at any price change the existing code in
> > ways totally unrelated to porting. Dont do it, dont even think of doing it!
> > It costs you time to do, it costs me time to review and benchmark the changes
> > and with 99% chance if you didnt benchmark. your change will be to the worse
> > (thats unless your name is jason, loren, fabrice, arpi and a few others)
> > and you will have to painfully undo it. Because i will benchmark your filter
> > and if mplayers original is faster even by just 1% you get a 1 line
> > "rejected its slower" comment and you can then find out where you messed up
> > Similarly if theres some feature dissappearance like geqs ability to read
> > from arbitrary pixels disappearing.
> >
> > There have been man-years of optimization and debuging thrown into mplayers
> > filters. If you feel like throwing that away and playing NIH then i suggest you
> > rather play russian roulett. That at least doesnt waste precious review time.
> >
> > Porting is one thing, and is easy to review and get approved.
> > Changes to the code are another thing and also easy to get approved if they
> > are to the better.
> > But mix them and review becomes hard because its no longer clear what has
> > been changed for porting and what because the author felt an itch about
> > something.
> > Also consider to diff your code against mplayers before submitting. Iam going
> > to compare it no matter how its posted and i will find changes and make
> > sarcastic comments about them if they are completely brain amputated
> >

> You should not be so harsh on high school students... this is not
> Google Summer of Code, this is Google Code-In.  Most of them neither
> have the time, nor the skill; nor the sanity, to deal with this level
> of nitpicks.
>
> I am doing my best to try to recruit new blood to the project; don't
> scare them away.

its embarrassing but i was unware of them being students from code in.
if them being high scool students being considered i agree with you that my
comment was way too harsh, i was writing this in the belive that they where
older and experienced developers

Thats what happens with IRC-logs being dead and myself not being on IRC ...
either way id appreciate if people could give a quick summary of such major
things like google code in students from other projects working on ffmpeg.
Not everyone is on IRC and i would suspect iam not the only one who didnt
know about that.

The real ebay dictionary, page 1
"Used only once"    - "Some unspecified defect prevented a second use"
"In good condition" - "Can be repaird by experienced expert"
"As is" - "You wouldnt want it even if you were payed for it, if you knew ..."