[FFmpeg-devel] Symbol versioning failure on Android

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Dec 7 06:05:48 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 12:33:13AM +0200, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If building shared libraries on Android, there seems to be a problem with
> symbol versioning. The fallback symbols in the previous library, defined
> e.g. in libavcodec/opt.c should call the new ones in libavutil/opt.c. In
> practice, they just call themselves, looping infinitely.
>
> Does anyone have better insight into the symbol versioning stuff, that
> could point out what could be going wrong?

I dont know the fine details of what is going wrong on android but
IMO the fundamental problem is that the bugs in the gnu linker prevent a clean
implementation of moving symbols between libs. And all these hacks with wrapers
calling themself and "magic" asm symbol versioning statements is something
that i must admit i was surprised works at all and i have no interrest in
finding even more insane workarounds of the gnu linker bugs that also work on
android.

It would be interresting to know if android could handle a sanely moved symbol,
that is one that during compile/link time was in one lib and during runtime
then was in another lib (with matching version of course)

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your
own failings. Then you will forget your anger. -- Epictetus