[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] unix socket protocol and our proto situation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Dec 16 03:21:11 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 05:59:55PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 05:37 PM, aviad rozenhek wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 17:46, JULIAN GARDNER <joolzg at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > I believe it is best to put a have a good default in place, so that
> > applications using the API or commandline users dont have to jump through
> > hoops to get udp input to work
>
> requesting larger system buffer just hides the problem IMHO.

I disagree :)
IMHO if one can portably make the system buffer big enough this is the correct
fix, not trying to implement realtime data buffer emptier in userspace because
this is cerftainly not portable your code can be paged out to disk and the
disk could be saturated with other accesses so only the system buffer that
is handled by a driver from locked memory can provide a gurantee to not
loose data.

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.