[FFmpeg-devel] Patch: CrystalHD decoder support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Dec 30 23:56:08 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:38:52PM -0800, Philip Langdale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is an update of my previously posted diff against mplayer
> for a native mplayer codec implementation. I've ported it to work
> directly against ffmpeg and improved its behaviour significantly
> in the interim period.
>
> The Broadcom CrystalHD chips are standalone video decoders that
> decode video frames to system memory. As such, they are independent
> of the GPU and usually appear as mini-card addons to laptops and
> small form factor desktops. There are fully open-source drivers and
> userspace libraries for Linux and OSX (and I guess windows too).
>
> The main challenge when working with the hardware is keeping it happily
> fed with frames - it is pipelined, so multiple frames are being
> processed at the same time, and the lag between a frame being submitted
> and the decoded frame being returned is significant - so the user
> application needs to be capable of handling this characteristic. Under
> normal conditions, there could be up to 20 frames in flight at once.
> Empirically, I arrived at a 50ms delay between frame submissions during
> the intial pipeline fill.

Our API doesnt support this thus this cannot be done without a small API
extension (that is to keep the dts at the decoder input useable)
The multithreading code needs a similar/same API extension to allow decoders to
work on multiple frames at the same time.

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin