[FFmpeg-devel] Getting the FFmpeg 0.6 ball rolling

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Tue Feb 9 22:05:58 CET 2010

On Mi, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:33:41 (CET), Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 10:02:29AM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
>> First off, it seems that at least from Debian/Ubuntu's perspective, the
>> release was appreciated. Thanks to Diego and others that helped to get the
>> 0.5 release out the door.
>>
>> Diego took a hard line last time that we would do the release on his terms
>> so that we could at least get one out the door without getting bogged down
>> in endless discussion and flaming. And then we could review its success
>> afterwards.
>
> it was a failure :)

I strongly disagree.

>> Otherwise, I think 0.5 went pretty well and didn't cause too much
>> inconvenience or extra work load on out part.
>
> above all it caused little inconvenience for the cracker scene as they
> didnt have to adapt their exploits
>
> anyway, my comments are the following
> 1. If someone wants to make a release, all fine i wont stop him
> 2. If someone wants a freeze he can fork and freeze his fork
> 3. I insist on the maintainer having the knowledge to be able
>    to recognize security fixes on svnlog and backport them as well
>    as the time and will to do it for at least twice the time we
>    expect until the next release.

I volunteer and acknowledge these points. However I find your opinion on
2. (which is 'no freeze') a bit unfortunate. While I don't insist on a
formal hard-freeze (which didn't happen for 0.5, BTW), a joint effort
would greatly help for a future release.

As for point 3, I think I'm qualified based on my work in the debian
package and my recent commits in the 0.5 branch. I don't claim that I've
found each and every possible security issue in the log, but I'll of
course happily accept patch nominations!

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4