[FFmpeg-devel] FFconf - Call for Participants

François Revol revol
Sun Feb 14 12:09:01 CET 2010

> > I'd say it might be interesting to organize aside another existing
> > event to benefit from the infrastructure.
>
> We thought about that, but came to the conclusion, that such
> events provide too much distraction. After all, you still have
> to man at least a booth, talk with visitors etc pp.

You're not forced to have a booth.
For ex, this year we weren't granted a booth at FOSDEM for Haiku this
year. But instead I managed to organize an Alt-OS devroom with several
Haiku talks and other stuff.

Of course it's not the same visibility.

> What we want to acheive is a meeting of those involved in
> video coding, so that things can be discussued w/o all these
> distrations and have all relevant people present.

Right, another option would be to have it at the same place, but not
the same time.

For ex, at FOSDEM there were several "side" events, like the StatusNet/
identi.ca gathering. It wasn't very formal though for what I know.

Most of us usually have to choose which conf they go to because, well,
we don't have a non-blocking /dev/money source. Possibly having it
attached to another large event would make it possible for some people
to attend both without increasing the cost too much.

For RMLL I can probably ask to see what's possible. I don't know the
FrOSCON orgs at all.

Another option for RMLL would be to ask for a specific multimedia
track. There doesn't seem to be any yet, but there used to be one IIRC.
If someone volunteers to handle it...

In any case, don't forget to add it to event lists like
http://fossevents.org/
http://agendadulibre.org/ if it's in france.

Or, it could take place after/before a demo party :)
Hmm there won't be a Numerica Art Party this year, they have a nice
setup with quite some equipment (it's a multimedia school), could have
been an interesting exchange, while not being too similar in nature. ;-
)
See http://www.demoparty.net/ for upcoming events.

Fran?ois.