[FFmpeg-devel] FFconf - Call for Participants

Alex Converse alex.converse
Mon Feb 15 02:33:57 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 6:09 AM, Fran?ois Revol <revol at free.fr> wrote:
>> > I'd say it might be interesting to organize aside another existing
>> > event to benefit from the infrastructure.
>>
>> We thought about that, but came to the conclusion, that such
>> events provide too much distraction. After all, you still have
>> to man at least a booth, talk with visitors etc pp.
>
> You're not forced to have a booth.
> For ex, this year we weren't granted a booth at FOSDEM for Haiku this
> year. But instead I managed to organize an Alt-OS devroom with several
> Haiku talks and other stuff.
>
> Of course it's not the same visibility.

If we don't do a booth what does the conference really provide us?

>> What we want to acheive is a meeting of those involved in
>> video coding, so that things can be discussued w/o all these
>> distrations and have all relevant people present.
>
> Right, another option would be to have it at the same place, but not
> the same time.
>
> For ex, at FOSDEM there were several "side" events, like the StatusNet/
> identi.ca gathering. It wasn't very formal though for what I know.
>
> Most of us usually have to choose which conf they go to because, well,
> we don't have a non-blocking /dev/money source. Possibly having it
> attached to another large event would make it possible for some people
> to attend both without increasing the cost too much.

We're looking at some possible funding sources to subsidize some
travel costs for those that need to travel great distances.

> For RMLL I can probably ask to see what's possible. I don't know the
> FrOSCON orgs at all.
>
> Another option for RMLL would be to ask for a specific multimedia
> track. There doesn't seem to be any yet, but there used to be one IIRC.
> If someone volunteers to handle it...
>
> In any case, don't forget to add it to event lists like
> http://fossevents.org/
> http://agendadulibre.org/ if it's in france.
>
> Or, it could take place after/before a demo party :)
> Hmm there won't be a Numerica Art Party this year, they have a nice
> setup with quite some equipment (it's a multimedia school), could have
> been an interesting exchange, while not being too similar in nature. ;-
> )
> See http://www.demoparty.net/ for upcoming events.

I enjoyed FOSDEM but I think an FFmpeg meetup could be more effective
without a bigger conference distracting us.