[FFmpeg-devel] Fix libx264

Ramiro Polla ramiro.polla
Tue Feb 23 18:19:03 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
<darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice at least if the flags were properly propagated, i.e.
> configure detects pthreads in x264 and auto-enables it.

I agree.

I also agree that pkg-config shouldn't be the only option because
pkg-config does have its downsides. The biggest one is that it was
never designed for cross-compilation. The authors themselves admitted
they were clueless about cross-compilation. There is no official
documentation for cross-compilation (there is a proposal, but that
doesn't count).

I wouldn't mind if we had to pass an extra parameter to configure
(even though the current behaviour is broken), but currently it is not
possible to use static x264 and static pthreads-win32 with ffmpeg. No
--extra-libs, nor --extra-ldflags, nor LDFLAGS will change this. By
the way I'm talking about simply adding "-lpthreads" in the right
order in regard to "-lx264". The winsock dependency, CFLAGS needed for
compiling, and non-portable init code can easily be fixed from
pthreads-win32 itself.

Some suggestions would be to add a --use-pkg-config option, or
--extra-${lib}-ldflags= that would be specific to each lib.

Ramiro Polla