[FFmpeg-devel] Fix libx264

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Feb 23 18:30:12 CET 2010

Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> writes:

> Le quintidi 5 vent?se, an CCXVIII, M?ns Rullg?rd a ?crit?:
>> What lunacy is that?
>
> I am just building on what _yoy_ wrote: the compiler is part of the build
> environment. Changing the compiler means changing the build environment.

Yes, the compiler is part of the build environment.  However, the
_runtime_ environment can, and often is, composed of parts created
under different _build_ environments.  When all the parts adhere to
the same ABI, this works wonderfully.

>>			ABI-compatible compilers (and most are) should
>> be freely interchangeable.
>
> Compatibility is not just about the ABI. If a third-party compiler is not
> able to deal with the common arguments the system's compiler requires, then
> it just is only half-compatible. That is too bad for those who want to use
> it.

POSIX standardises a few common compiler flags (-I, -L, etc.), and
pretty much all relevant compilers support these.

You are proposing to _intentionally_ break compatibility between
compilers where no issue would exist absent pkg-config.  I find that
counter-productive, if not outright rude.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com