[FFmpeg-devel] Fix libx264

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Wed Feb 24 00:05:19 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Ramiro Polla <ramiro.polla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
> <darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be nice at least if the flags were properly propagated, i.e.
>> configure detects pthreads in x264 and auto-enables it.
>
> I agree.
>
> I also agree that pkg-config shouldn't be the only option because
> pkg-config does have its downsides. The biggest one is that it was
> never designed for cross-compilation. The authors themselves admitted
> they were clueless about cross-compilation. There is no official
> documentation for cross-compilation (there is a proposal, but that
> doesn't count).

Perhaps it wasn't designed for cross-compilation, but that doesn't
mean it's not perfect for it.

I personally cross-compile on a daily basis to an ARM platform using
pkg-config, and quite often to mingw32. In fact pkg-config makes
cross-compilation very easy for me.

So I have yet to see this "downside".

> I wouldn't mind if we had to pass an extra parameter to configure
> (even though the current behaviour is broken), but currently it is not
> possible to use static x264 and static pthreads-win32 with ffmpeg. No
> --extra-libs, nor --extra-ldflags, nor LDFLAGS will change this. By
> the way I'm talking about simply adding "-lpthreads" in the right
> order in regard to "-lx264". The winsock dependency, CFLAGS needed for
> compiling, and non-portable init code can easily be fixed from
> pthreads-win32 itself.
>
> Some suggestions would be to add a --use-pkg-config option, or
> --extra-${lib}-ldflags= that would be specific to each lib.

I definitely would use this --use-pkg-config option.

--
Felipe Contreras