[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] random thoughts about SoC (was: Re: random thoughts about refactoring)

Justin Ruggles justin.ruggles
Tue Jan 12 12:08:17 CET 2010

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:06:55AM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>> * It is important to define some metrics for evaluating the progress
>>   of the student, setting many milestones and evaluating each of them
>>   is better than having just one final goal, and usually leads to
>>   better performance.
>
> mike has pushed this area recently like in the sense of disqualifying students
> if they dont reply for weeks or get nothing done at all ...
> beyond that, i think that students who do work & communicate will also
> provide some usefull code to us in the end, maybe not in perfect and
> finished shape but usefull ...

I think this part is critical.  Thilo and I did this for the ALS
decoder, and I think it helped significantly.  Some of the milestones
set at the start of the project were revised as progress was faster or
slower than expected for some parts of the code, but overall it was
important in giving a realistic goal and clearly defined our expectations.

-Justin