[FFmpeg-devel] Democratic election of the server admins

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jul 4 03:23:55 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 01:24:00AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> > At a minimum i need to have the ability to close peoples accounts
>
> That is quite some dissonance.

i dont see how.
To lead the project i need some means to do that. not as a first solution
not as a second solution but as a very very last option if all discussion
and all compromises failed.
a democratically elected leader needs some power as well ...
Having such power is what makes the difference, its not something that
would ever become used under normal circumtances.
Keep in mind i always had the power to arbitrarily close normal user
accounts and i never even tried except for uoti.
only the 2 admins where excluded, and look at cvslog who
where the 2 people who went into a "i commit what i like" mode.

again, its not that i want anyones account closed. Thats never what
i wanted.

> > including the admins!
>
> Please stop beating around the bush.  It is quite clear you are doing
> this for no other reason than to undermine me and Diego.  I only wish
> you would show the courtesy, or perhaps courage, of a direct challenge
> rather than these underhanded tactics thinly disguised under a false
> label of democracy.

I would really prefer we dont have to discuss this, also because its
not just about you.

But basically if you want me to more fully explain things, its that
having 2 admins for life that have nothing above them leads to problems
if the 2 are reelected democratically once a year this is solved
if i, attila, loren, jason, benjamin, roberto, arpi, ronald, mike
had the power to replace them then too this is solved.
So yes, i too would be ok if instead of giving me that power we
pick another arbiter like benjamin larson he is ffmtech president
and surely trusted. or pick fabrice ...

Its the situation where 2 admins have absolute and untouchable
power that is causing problems.
And yes it where just some irrelevant commits but i dont want to
wait until its more then this. And this is not your fault mans
i dont mean this at all. i claim almost anyone put in the admin
position for eternity would abuse it maybe not conciously but he would

Thouse who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.