[FFmpeg-devel] [patch] export pmt and pcr pids from mpegts demuxer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jul 11 20:53:41 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 04:11:24PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> On 6/20/10 2:48 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>>> Michael, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but even myself I
>>> don't understand what you mean.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that we export the mp4 branch type as well.
>>
>> brand IIRC ;)
>> and the brand specifies to which "sub-spec" of mpeg4 a file is compliant
>> that is each brand ->  set of rules a file complies to
>> there can be multiple brands if a file complies to multiple specs.
>> So for example if it contains a h264 stream it contains the "avc1"
>> brand indicating that it complies to the specific spec
>> That is the way i understand it.
>>
>> I dont really mind if its exported as:
>> "mp4/major_brand" "3gp2"
>> "mp4/compatible_brand" "isom"
>> "mp4/compatible_brand" "iso2"
>> as long as no better way to export it, is available
>> without the mp4/ though its ambigous if its normal metadata or file
>> details
>>

>>> I don't care if user wants to know the pmt pid or not, if it's useful for
>>> somebody and simple to export, then let's do it.
>>
>> yes but maybe  .... if i better understand it, there would be a cleaner
>> way than just exporting it like that
>>
>> I simply feel i understand this too poorly to make a decission
>> for example highly format specific values in a stream can be made
>> available through AVOptions on the private context.
>
> Metadata API is way simpler from the user point of view.
>
>> or if we have a seperate strea, internally in the mpeg ts demuxer
>> that carries a table of some kind, why for example is that stream
>> not exportet like audio and video streams?
>> and pids why are they not in AVStream.id ?
>
> pids are in AVStream.id for exported streams.
> PMT stream contains Section data which is MPEGTS specific, exporting all
> data tracks seems really overkill and furthermore it would be hard to
> distinguish which one is the PMT stream.

CODEC_ID_PMT

anyway if you still think metadata is the right spot, i dont mind though
i dont think it is the semantically correct place. And i think it will
cause problems like when copying metadata.
Even if metadata isnt copied by default, a user can choose to copy it
and then pmt_pid will be copied to and that wont make any sense
in the destination format

In a rich man's house there is no place to spit but his face.
-- Diogenes of Sinope