[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] TS/DVB subtitle sub_id hack

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jul 13 23:58:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 06:05:55PM +0000, Joakim Plate wrote:
> Baptiste Coudurier <baptiste.coudurier <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Like I said, check for codec_tag in mpeg4*, codec_tag is needed to
> > enable workarounds and specialties of certain mpeg4 variants, so in
> > order to leverage libavcodec correctly you should pass codec_tag along.
> >
> > [...]
> >

> That I had missed. Big thanx for the heads up.

A patch to improve our documentation is welcome.
Also 2 notes.
mpeg4 tends to work without codec_tag, as the encoders tend to be
   identifyable through other means most of te time.
codec_tag can be lost on stream copy, like mpeg4 in avi->mpeg-ps/ts

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.