[FFmpeg-devel] frame order / get_buffer

johnny666lee at sonnenkinder.org johnny666lee
Wed Jul 14 17:47:48 CEST 2010

hello, everyone,

i want to implement my own custom get_buffer() function to use in my program that uses libavcodec. i have done some experiments and noticed that buffers are output (decoded) by ffmpeg in a different order from the order in which they were requested. my question is, is there a way to know in advance in which order the requested buffers will be output? because i need this information to implement my callback. for example, i could try to number the buffers as follows, in the following example:

get_buffer -> 1
get_buffer -> 3
get_buffer -> 2
decode_video (finished) -> 1
decode_video (finished) -> 2
decode_video (finished) -> 3

but how do i get those numbers at the time when get_buffer() is called? or in other words, how do i know in advance in which order decode_video() would output the buffers? at the moment i'm interested only in the following codecs: mpeg2, mpeg4, h263, h264.

thanks in advance for answering!

best regards,
johnny