[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Releases

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jun 10 20:44:23 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 07:27:36PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 05:00:26PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:
> >
> > > Was it worth an afternoon's work?  Yes.
> >
> > You forget the work other people have to explain that it's everything but "new".
>
> For hundreds of hours?

a few hours maybe per a few thousand of users how are trying to figure out
why their latest software doesnt work

> Seriously, it was clearly marked as a point release from the 0.5 branch:
>
>   May 25, 2010
>
>   We have just pushed out another point release from our 0.5 release
>   branch: FFmpeg 0.5.2. This is a maintenance-only release that addresses
>   a small number of security and portability issues. Distributors and
>   system integrators are encouraged to update and share their patches
>   against this branch.

Better:
This is outdated software, you want to upgrade to svn

its shorter and gets the point better accross

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.