[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Releases

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jun 10 21:46:05 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:24:57PM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 20:44:23 (CEST), Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> >> For hundreds of hours?
> >
> > a few hours maybe per a few thousand of users how are trying to figure out
> > why their latest software doesnt work
> >

> >> Seriously, it was clearly marked as a point release from the 0.5 branch:
> >>
> >>   May 25, 2010
> >>
> >>   We have just pushed out another point release from our 0.5 release
> >>   branch: FFmpeg 0.5.2. This is a maintenance-only release that addresses
> >>   a small number of security and portability issues. Distributors and
> >>   system integrators are encouraged to update and share their patches
> >>   against this branch.
> >
> > Better:
> > This is outdated software, you want to upgrade to svn
> >
> > its shorter and gets the point better accross
>
> It seems the press and news sites did get the message correct, and
> recommended as well to use the latest version from svn.

lets hope everyone who isnt a native speaker reads th news sites instead
of above then

Incandescent light bulbs waste a lot of energy as heat so the EU forbids them.
Their replacement, compact fluorescent lamps, much more expensive, dont fit in
many old lamps, flicker, contain toxic mercury, produce a fraction of the light
that is claimed and in a unnatural spectrum rendering colors different than
in natural light. Ah and we now need to turn the heaters up more in winter to
compensate the lower wasted heat. Who wins? Not the environment, thats for sure