[FFmpeg-devel] x264 encoding over RTP and playing in VLC

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Fri Jun 11 11:38:59 CEST 2010

On 6/11/10 10:50 AM, Dominik Tomczak wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm developing my own software for encoding the raw RGB24/32 video into x264
> and stream it using RTP to VideoLanPlayer (VLC). I use libavcodec and
> libavformat. The problem is that I can play the video correctly neither
> using ffmpeg tool nor using my tool.
> Could you point me to some samples of ffmpeg code where x264 encoding and
> RTP muxing is done?
> When I use ffmpeg with command line:
>
>   ffmpeg -i c:/movie.avi -an -vcodec libx264 -vpre normal -b 1000k -f rtp
> rtp://127.0.0.1:5000/

h264 in rtp requires you to put the extradata in the sdp, so you need to
feed the extradata in a way or another to the decoder otherwise the
frames demuxed from the rtp won't have any means for it. *

lu

* actually you can deliver the extradata NALs inband but I won't advise
that for any practical purpose.