[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libavfilter audio API and related issues

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jun 16 07:42:49 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 01:00:26AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:

> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >Attached is a rough draft of the audio API. [...]
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I now have a working audio filter framework. Made some changes to
> > the audio API from last week and the earlier ffplay changes based on
> > comments and some problems encountered along the way. Now when
> > playing a video/audio file, the input and output filters are created
> > and the audio data passes through these two filters and plays out.
> > The video filters work without any breakages.
> >
> > Here are the changes and comments incorporated:
> >
> > 1. AVFilterSamplesRef now has a pts field as suggested. I can't find
> > a pos field for audio in existing code so I haven't added that yet.
>
> Maybe pts should be moved to AVFilterBuffer, same for pos, see also
> the Michael comment.

pts can be changed by a filter so one buffer can depending on filter
have more than one pts

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.