[FFmpeg-devel] H.264 MVC

Peter Wimmer pwimmer
Fri Jun 25 19:18:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

> IMHO it would be easiest to decode into side-by-side format,
> the output can then just be handled like other 3d content.

Over/under would be smarter, because each view would be located in two
contiguous memory blocks, while data would have to be interleaved for
side-by-side. Anyway, I consider neither one a clean solution. The caller of
libavcodec should have the choice which view(s) to decode and retrieve the
data in separate buffers. Although not used on Blu-ray, MVC supports more
than two views, a flexible solution to handle multi-view content would be
better than over/under. Anyway, there's not need to solve the problem now,
first the decoder must be implemented.

>The MVC spec itself is part of the H.264 spec here
> http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.264 see Annex H

It doesn't mention how to split the MVC stream in two seaprate streams with
different PIDs as used on Blu-ray.

> We have a ssif sample here http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/3D/small-00000.ssif

Do you have MP4 sample with one MVC stream? It would be a better place to
start than with the strange two streams of Blu-ray.

Well, it there are no patches yet, I'll have to start from scratch...

Peter