[FFmpeg-devel] dynamic memory allocation

maxime louvel m.louvel
Wed Mar 3 10:13:12 CET 2010

Hi,

I've logged the memory allocation done by ffplay while playing 3 version of
the same movie.
The latter is an apple trailer in HD (HP 6). It is encoded with h264 codec.
The difference between the version is the size : 480p, 720p and 1080p.

To log the memory I simply intercept every call to malloc and print it, then
I worked on the printed results.

I've figured out two things :

1 / the memory allocation is the same for the 3 streams, thus two questions
:
  - why ? (I would have expect the last one to use more memory than the
first one)
  - what are the parameters (I guess there is ?) which influence the dynamic
memory usage ?

2 / almost all the memory is allocated at the beginning (that's find by me)
but with just a few (49 to be exact) calls to malloc.
  - where does that come from ?

Could someone light me up ?

cheers,

Maxime