[FFmpeg-devel] More on MPEG-TS muxer: PCR not in sync with PTS/DTS ("dts < pcr, TS is invalid")

Tymek Majewski | Cubitech Ltd. tymek.majewski
Thu Mar 4 17:58:05 CET 2010

Hi,

Problem: I am not able to generate a 'valid' mpeg-ts stream using both command line and the libraries. The underlying cause is reported as "dts < pcr, TS is invalid".

This problem has been reported several times on both ffmpeg-devel and ffmpeg-user and it seems there is no solution for it unless you know a lot about mpeg-ts and you can tailor your code to set the params correctly.

I'm trying with
1. ffmpeg -i c:\h.264\videos\Blu-ray_AVC_1920x1080_LPCM.mpg c:\h.264\tests\output.ts
would generate
[mpegts @ 0x3420050]dts < pcr, TS is invalid
and produce files that cannot be played by VLC or iPhone (but can be played by Windows Media Player)

and
2. libavformat\output-example.c
The results are the same.
"dts < pcr, TS is invalid" and Windows Media Player is ok, but VLC and iPhone are not.

The fix for 1279 which supposed to improve the situation doesn't work for me and the code has change since it was applied anyway.

Could you clarify what is the situation? Is it 'official' that mpeg-ts muxer doesn't work in ffmpeg at the moment? I know there has been some buzz in Feb 2010 about fixing it? Are there any news on that? Is there a patch/fix available?

I'm using
FFmpeg version SVN-r22209, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers built on Mar  4 2010 16:14:08 with gcc 4.2.1-sjlj (mingw32-2)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers
Tymek