[FFmpeg-devel] ffprobe packets and frames parsing

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Mar 10 20:07:53 CET 2010

On date Wednesday 2010-03-10 15:30:35 +0100, Robert Kr?ger encoded:
> Hi,
> On 10.03.2010, at 02:04, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > On date Tuesday 2010-03-09 13:33:14 +0100, Robert Kr?ger encoded:
[...]
> > My plan is to integrate all the features currently implemented in
> > SF/ffprobe, possibly better and in a cleaner way, so this will require
> > some time and maybe some hacking on FFmpeg the libs.
> >
> > Once this will happen I'll drop the SF version.
> >
> > In the meaningwhile you're encouraged to add feature requests to
> > roundup or to propose patches here.
> >
> But that doesn't include the features already available in the SF
> version, right?

Why not?

> My main interest at this moment is to extract metadata that requires
> looking at the packets/frames currently (mainly for detecting
> interlaced content but other use cases will probably come with
> time). I guess it doesn't make sense to hack a probe for that into
> the current code as it is really a special case of what you already
> have in the SF version, except that it requires a -vframes option to
> do this efficiently.

Well ffprobe/SF contains some hacks which I'd like to avoid, so some
careful re-design will be required to get those features integrated,
which may take some time (I'm giving priority to libavfilter
integration).

> >> Thanks for any info and thanks for integrating with the ffmpeg
> >> distro,

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fascinating and Fanciful Moronic Portable Empowered Gargoyle