[FFmpeg-devel] Possible leak in RTSP to disk copy writing

Stas Oskin stas.oskin
Sun Mar 14 13:56:05 CET 2010

Hi.

I'm trying to track a leak in my application, and after long inspection,
found out that it seems to be on the FFMPEG side.

When I connect via RTSP to any video source, and copy the video to disk (not
re-coding it) the memory consumption slowly but continuously will grow.

Here is an example command that will trigger it:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:554/live.sdp -vcodec copy -acodec none
test.mp4

It's important to notice that valgrind doesn't complain in such case, so it
seems to be a case of very long lived objects in memory. They do get
released, but only at the end of the program.

This case not happens if I re-stream the packets to another RTP channel in
this method:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:554/live.sdp -vcodec copy -acodec none -f
rtp rtp://127.0.0.1:50000

So it's related to disk writing only.

Is this a known issue?
If not, what would be the best way to locate it so I could submit a patch?
Is there any tool that can help locate the long lived objects?

Thanks in advance!