[FFmpeg-devel] Official status of FFv1?

Peter B. pb
Mon Mar 22 19:13:50 CET 2010

Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> This is hilarious irony.  Lagarith is one of the worst-designed
> lossless codecs in history, not merely with no spec, but it uses
> FLOATING POINT MATH in its entropy decoder.  If you merely look at it
> wrong it will corrupt your video.

Interesting... Thanks for that info!
Lagarith is out of the game anyway, due to its windows-focus and lack of
additional advantages over Huffyuv or FFV1.

> If you're looking for a lossless encoder, also look at x264 lossless.
> It tends to outperform FFV1 on cleaner sources (FFV1 will win on very
> grainy/noisy sources).

What is the implementation status of x264 lossless in libavcodec, and
would it be possible to have intra-frame encoding only? I've read that
it's compression is inter-frame.
@Lars:
Currently, it's preferred to have keyframe-only codecs for video
archives. It makes a lot of things easier and less troubles in case of
data problems.

However, the archive I'm working on will deal with lots of old analog
material, so if FFV1 is better at dealing with noisy sources, that
sounds good. :)

Apart from that, do you generally think it's a good idea to consider
FFV1 as preferred codec for a video archive instead of Huffyuv?

Thanks,
Peter