[FFmpeg-devel] Awakening of FFH264

Kvikant, Christian kvide
Tue Mar 23 12:59:46 CET 2010

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Sorry, but what is the point of this?  There is already a fantastic,
> open source H.264 encoder in x264.
I agree totally. FFH264 is not up to par nether regarding quality nor
size. The only reason for this exercise was licensing. If the feeling is
that FFH264 will never become part of FFmpeg, then we will keep it as a
separate patch.

Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> Summary so far: What is this shit?

This is the original code implemented by University of Hasselt in
2006-2007. Most of the available patches were either broken or generated
void H.264 streams. By interdiffing we were able to figure out what they
were trying to achieve. (Tip to myself: rather start from scratch than
taking up on crappy code)

We will try to go trough Jason's comments and see what we can correct/fix.

Luca Abeni wrote:
> Why do you need this? We already have an H.264 packetiser in the RTP
> muxer.

We will at some point replace the rtp packetiser for FFmpeg's own.

Cheers,
Christian