[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2010 Small Task Orientation

Marcelo Galvão Póvoa marspeoplester
Fri Mar 26 04:45:11 CET 2010

Thanks for the reply.

2010/3/25 Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> On 25/03/10 02:33, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 24, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Marcelo Galv?o P?voa
>> <marspeoplester at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello, I'm a student interested in participating in GSoC 2010 and I've
>>> got interest in AMR-WB decoder project idea. However, I don't have
>>> experience in codecs implementation and specification, although I'm
>>> proficient in C language and general programming. I would like to know
>>> if this project (or maybe one of the other decoders suggested, such as
>>> WMA lossless or BSAC AAC) is suitable for beginners in this subject,
>>> despite I'm ready to put whichever effort needed in learning about it. :)
>
> CELP-ish codecs like AMR-WB are simpler than WMA or AAC in my opinion so I
> think it's better to start with such. One question - are you familiar with
> fixed point maths?

No, I've never worked with it.

>>> If so, I would appreciate an adequate Small Task suggestion for this
>>> project. I've considered the "RealAudio 14.4 encoder", it is suitable?
>>
>> Robert is the projected mentor, you should discuss with him what
>> qualification task would be suitable for this SoC project. Maybe an
>> amrwb frame parser makes sense as qualification task?
>
> Yes, that's a good suggestion and would at least make some progress towards
> the project as well as getting you, Marcelo, used to the way we work, the
> specs and so on. You can catch me on IRC in #ffmpeg-devel on
> irc.freenode.net. My nick is superdump.

I've searched online a bit and couldn't find a
specification/description of the codec internals, I guess it is
because of patents. I don't know exactly what a "frame parser" is, so
I am clueless about how to start it. However, I'm interested in giving
it a try if you could point a way to help me develop the task.

Regards
--
Marcelo Galv?o P?voa