[FFmpeg-devel] Use of non-public symbols between libraries

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Fri May 14 10:50:44 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 00:15:02 (CEST), Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:45:39AM +0300, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Should ff_random_get_seed perhaps be made public (add an av_ named
>> function, and exporting the header)?
>
> i think so

I'd very much welcome this step, as it would make upcoming transition
periods way more easy. Without knowing when which library will be
bumped, it is impossible to say which function will be really
required, so it's better to play safe here.

What can be said for sure is that this is only required for libraries,
that other ffmpeg libraries depend on. This means that ff_ symbols in
avformat do not need to be preserved, but ff_ symbols in lavc and lavu
surely do. I guess that most if not all findings of Martin's list are
symbols in lavc, but I did not check each of them.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4