[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] rtpdec: Reordering RTP packets

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Wed May 19 03:01:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

On May 18, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
wrote:

>>> I'd consider it as rtp proto param, but I know will be annoying
>>> forwarding it from rtsp://path/to/resource?buffer=10&tcp to it but
>>> might
>>> be something nice for downstream users. Otherwise use the
>>> AVOption...
>>
>> Yes, Ronald suggested something such, too. Although, I see that as a
>> separate feature that can be added later, after the general
>> reordering
>> support within rtpdec...
>
> iam scared
>
> the user cares about 1 thing and that is delay, not packet number
> which is
> just a meaningless number, unfit to be constant by default

Or size in bytes (more from a security/resource/admin point of view),
but yes I think I agree with Michael here. We should inplement both
and nr of packets isn't terribly useful then...

Ronald