[FFmpeg-devel] CBR Bitrate control in MPEG-2 video encoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed May 26 21:55:38 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:54:01PM +0200, Sven Brandau wrote:
> Am 26.05.2010 21:30, schrieb Michael Niedermayer:

>>> And how are you measure the bitrate? In a very simple way you will take
>>> the
>>> whole time of the video stream and calculate the bitrate from file size.
>>> The only question is (beside the vbv constrains) how small is the time
>>> unit
>>> in which the bitrate will be calculated. 1s? 30s? ...?
>>>
>> you must read and understand the mpeg specs and how vbv works, this
>> discussion
>> is pointless otherwise.
>>

> Yes ok.  :-)
>
> But how calculate the ffmpeg cmd tool the showed bitrate during encoding? I

wrongly in this sense :)

> guess without the knowledge of the mpeg-2 vbv model?

exactly

>>> You are right, I don't have such a tool. Have you ever tried such a tool
>>> on
>>> the ffmpeg MPEG-2 video encoder?
>>>
>> some people did
>>

> Ok, and how is ensured that the ffmpeg MPEG-2 video encoder fullfills the
> specs for vbv? Was there a test with a
>
> true mpeg2 stream analyzer and the result was fine for a set test streams?

iam not aware of any vbv issues and i know some people tested streams from
ffmpeg. Id assume they would have reported it where there issues ...

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes