[FFmpeg-devel] vp8: decoder rewrite, spec cleanup

Peter Ross pross
Sat May 29 17:04:49 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 09:48:39PM -0400, John Koleszar wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
[..]
> > I would suggest that you remain open to changing the libvpx API and
> > even the VP8 bitstream for the time being. ?The project is still young
> > and could benefit from extensive changes. ?If you value backwards
> > compatibility too highly, go for VP9. ?Nothing is set in stone yet,
> > you should not miss that window of opportunity.

Agree. Previous community developed codecs have involved a period of time
where the specification is considered experimental, before being frozen.
The experimental phase provides an opportunity for developers & users to
evaluate the specification and for problems to be rectified.

> The issue of how and when the bitstream can change is a complicated
> one, and nothing has been decided yet. I think ideas on how that can
> work would be appreciated. This is going to be a long term project,
> and I think we'll always be looking at what the next version is going
> to look like, so people interested in bitstream-incompatible changes
> should definitely get involved.

Great. If nothing has been decided yet, please revise the website text
that states 'The VP8 and WebM specifications as released on May 19th,
2010 are final.'

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)