[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] disallow svn propedit in the svn repo to make switching to git easier

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Tue Nov 2 20:47:58 CET 2010

On Di, Nov 02, 2010 at 12:49:53 (CET), Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:15:05PM +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:
>>
>> the rewriting of commit messages is incomplatible with git. Each time a
>> commit message is rewritten the entire svn repo has to be reimported.
>
> Rewriting commit messages is Subersion's single most distinctive feature.

Sure, still git-notes(1) was pointed out as replacement.

>> If we want a slow migration to git disallowing propedits in the svn repo
>> which is a simple hook script change would allow to create stable git
>> repository which can be used after the full migration.
>
> Forget about slow migration, this is impossible.  Do it the same we did
> with svn: On day X, svn is set read-only, git is turned on.

Depends on your understanding of 'slow migration'. FTR, I don't care if
propedits are disabled or not.

>> Creating the git repo with all currently rewritten commit messages is one
>> of the things missing in my repo. The other two is the handling of the
>> 0.5 and 0.6 release branches
>
> What, no release branches?

AFAIUI, its a matter of extending the import script.

FWIW, I'd appreciate if the release branches could be converted properly,
so that on day X, the whole svn can be made read-only, not just trunk.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4