[FFmpeg-devel] 3D WebM/Matroska tags inclusion

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Thu Nov 4 06:04:22 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Alok Ahuja <waveletcoeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There has been a recent standardization effort for Stereoscopic 3D in
> Matroska and WebM. A few tags are now already part of the Matroska spec (See
> http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#StereoMode)
>
> and their adoption in WebM spec is under consideration with a high
> likelihood of being accepted. I would love to know the thoughts of everyone
> here in considering adding 3D WebM tags' support in ffmpeg specifically for
> encoding of 3D WebM content. Just as a background, there is another effort
> underway at Mozilla to add 3D WebM decoding into the next release of
> Firefox. The use case is to allow 3D WebM playback utilizing HTML5 video tag
> and using various S3D rendering technologies.

We've had the H.264 Frame Packing SEI for ages now; as far as I can
tell, no real people actually care enough to want it...

I assume these Matroska tags allow us to e.g. have a 1920*2160 image,
the top half of which is one view and the bottom half of which is
another view?  Because that's the sensible way to do it.

Dark Shikari