[FFmpeg-devel] [GIT] ready by the weekend

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Nov 17 19:21:41 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 07:08:06PM +0100, Rafa?l Carr? wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:58:12 -0800
> Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Reimar D?ffinger
> > <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > > how to handle bad commit messages (and different levels of
> > > bad, ranging from spelling mistakes over non-understandable
> > > to wrong patch-by attribution).
> >
> > git commit -a --amend
> > git push -f
>
> You forgot to mention that this should only be used in the short time
> interval after you realize your error, and before anyone pulls from the
> tree.

Which is why I want a _proper_ documentation. I know I can find some
way with google.
However I expect certain if I use (a more elaborate form of) above
to change a typo in a 4 year old commit message that would be asking
to be lynched.

> Else those who did pull will have to reset their tree to the previous
> commit and pull again

And describing what can go wrong and when and how you have to do such
a thing is particularly important, since this does affect not only
developers but also end-users which we can't expect to have more
than a basic understanding.