[FFmpeg-devel] [GIT] ready by the weekend

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre
Wed Nov 17 20:02:21 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:21:41 +0100
Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 07:08:06PM +0100, Rafa?l Carr? wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:58:12 -0800
> > Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > git commit -a --amend
> > > git push -f
> >
> > You forgot to mention that this should only be used in the short
> > time interval after you realize your error, and before anyone pulls
> > from the tree.
>
> Which is why I want a _proper_ documentation. I know I can find some
> way with google.
> However I expect certain if I use (a more elaborate form of) above
> to change a typo in a 4 year old commit message that would be asking
> to be lynched.

True ;)

> > Else those who did pull will have to reset their tree to the
> > previous commit and pull again
>
> And describing what can go wrong and when and how you have to do such
> a thing is particularly important, since this does affect not only
> developers but also end-users which we can't expect to have more
> than a basic understanding.

I'm not sure if it's possible to make a list of everything that could
go wrong.
Just don't panic and ask for help if something weird arises.
git should warn you if you try to do bad things (tm) on the server
you're pushing to, and as long as the main repository is consistent,
end-users will be able to pull from it.

Some useful resources:

- seasoned git users on ffmpeg IRC channels, and also on #git (i was
  told people were quite helpful on this channel)

- your own git server:

% mkdir $HOME/server; cd $HOME/server; git init --bare
% cd $HOME; git clone server client
% cd client; touch a; git add a; git commit -m "init"
% git push origin master

--
? Rafa?l Carr? ?