[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Oct 2 11:10:42 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 11:00:06AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> I believe we agree that maintainers are free to apply patches on the
> files they maintain, but in general there should be some exceptions to
> this rule. Such exceptions may arise when:
>
> * the change affects the policy or the style of the project
> * the change is no trivial, so it may benefit from peer-review
> * the change affects other code not maintained by the committer *or*
>   the public interface

Really, rules don't work here. It will just move the flaming to the
interpretation of the rules.
Of course we need some common view of how things should work in
principle, but in the end the only thing that works is wanting
to work together, taking into account criticism even if you think
it goes too far without discussing forever who is right (unless
you really think it goes far too far), and assuming the best intentions
of the other side.
If we want a rule I'd say this one is it: do not argue about things
that are not really relevant to the current topic (chose another
time if you consider it important), and avoid arguments that will
not help progress towards conflict resolution.