[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Oct 2 14:56:56 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 05:44:49AM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 03:29:16PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> >> This rule, or guideline rather, ensures code quality, and fairness. I
> >> don't see how sending patches to the mailing list first would be any
> >> less fun... it tells the community "I care what you think, and I care
> >> about the quality of this code'.
> >>
> >> Also, you are assuming (for some strange reason) that everybody that
> >> works in the kernel is doing so because they are getting paid; I think
> >> you are completely wrong. People contribute to linux mainly because
> >> it's fun, and challenging, and it matters. Some people coincidentally
> >> do get paid, but they anyway keep contributing on their own free time,
> >> abiding by the same rules. And the majority of people are not paid in
> >> any way:
> >>
> >> http://lwn.net/Articles/222773/
> >>
> >> And what about projects like git? Or vlc? The developers surely don't
> >> get paid for contributing, and still send each and every patch (or
> >> mostly).
> >>
> >> It should be fun for you to receive constructive criticism from your
> >> peers, which in the case of FFmpeg, constitutes very highly skilled     t
> >> individuals, perhaps the best in the world in multimedia, I don't see
> >> how you would find it more exciting to pass the opportunity of getting
> >> such valuable feedback.
> >
> > then you live in a cave and havnt looked out in the last years
> > what is reality is that people fork ffmpeg right and left because they
> > are increasingly unwilling to put up with the bikeshed reviews
>
> So in other words:
>
> a) You are going to ignore the review process because you don't like it.

Ive repeated it many times.
I do not ignore the review process or rules. And if you think i do please
point me to where i have, dont just repeat vague accusations.

Some people have ignored the review process, namely alex converse (aac)
you (h264), mans (1st->3rd person, removial of docs, #inlcudes stdlib)
but then its funny that these people except alex are exactly who
accuse me to ignore the rules ...

In fact, the RIAA has been known to suggest that students drop out
of college or go to community college in order to be able to afford
settlements. -- The RIAA