[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Sat Oct 2 15:41:05 CEST 2010

On 10/02/2010 02:45 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> nope, i was trying to fix the very same things mans fixed, namely reformating
> the code for better readability. no tool in the world would have avoided that
> colission and wasted time.

Said this way I see as it was something minor and not worth losing
either Mans or you over it... If Mans were aware you were working on it
he wouldn't spent his time doing the same, if you were aware he was
working on it you wouldn't spent your time on it as well I think.

> I do take it seriously when i commit something and i do fix issues that are
> pointed out to me (unless its bikeshed that goes far too far like the #include)
> its annoying if someone complains to me and while i start working then commits
> under my fingers that very change without asking, making me waste time

That happens because you were unaware that you were both working on that
part of the code I think.
It's quite normal to complain, see nothing happening and then do
yourself since you can and need it, isn't it?

It's not like we don't rewrite patches many times upon discussion to
make the code nicer, because others spotted a simpler/nicer way to
implement something or even because we put a typo in the comments...

**Sidenote**

I respect both you and your skills, I enjoyed working and discussing
with Mans. Your main fault is being distant and from time to time you
just push changes that probably might have enjoyed some more discussion
and that might take by surprise a good number of people. His main fault
is being caustic and confrontational.

This thread started with a vote to say if we trust you and we want you
as leader. I, as most people around here, said that I trust you but I'd
rather have you behave like every other developer.

Then this thread derailed a bit, since you didn't see anything wrong in
your behaviour, then I noted that what started the discussion probably
would be a quite smaller issue if we use better tools to communicate so
we don't stomp on each other feet from time to time.

Meanwhile Mans chose to just step back. To me, in the end it's just a
major loss for FFmpeg if we lose any of you.

Right now the only person able to make Mans reconsider is you.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux