[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Oct 2 16:51:53 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 07:25:31AM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

> >> That's because we use IRC for developer communication.
> >
> > are there some irclogs that people can read who dont have time to be online
> > on irc or who just dont like irc?
>
> We could add public logging if we had a developer who had that as an
> issue.  But it hasn't come up, so there isn't public logging.
>
> That is, we use the current system because it works and nobody who
> actually submits code has an issue with it.  If someone did, we could
> revise it to better suit their needs.  We've never bikeshedded over
> it.

Its very unlikely that i will submit code to x264 in the next year as iam
heavily overly busy but i would be interrested to peek into the x264
discussions occasioanlly, like about the dithering. Iam not sure if iam the
only one here ...

About the dithering you said you use error diffusion while someone trolled
about sws using ordered dither. Well truth is sws had error diffusion dither
support but it looked worse for videos (not still images) than ordered.
so i removed or possibly never commited it.

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.