[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] FFmpeg leader

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sun Oct 3 00:13:36 CEST 2010

On 10/2/10 2:54 PM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Baptiste Coudurier
> <baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem is the bikeshed and being unreasonable about features and
>> fixes.
>
> The bike-shedding problem is orthogonal. Just because it affects
> mostly non-maintainers it doesn't mean it doesn't have to be fixed,
> right?
>
> Supposing the bike-shedding problem was fixed, would you still have
> problems submitting patches?

It is not orthogonal. Bike-shedding means more mails, more patches, more
burden.
Submitting patches is important for heavy stuff, controversial stuff
(people know when stuff is controversial around here), and API changes,
and these are worth the burden.

>> The comments on the mov auto-crop once again show it.
>> We maintainers can hardly code and review at the same time, because we
>> lack _time_.
>
> And the rest of us pick time from trees?

Did you ever send a patch about a feature _you_ didn't care about ? Just
for the sake of "enhancing" FFmpeg ?
You cannot compare the work of a maintainer and a contributor.
I invite you to search the bugtrack or the mailing for sentences like
"this patch works for me, do what you want"

> [...]
>
> If you don't have time to finish writing something, just send it to
> the mailing saying what still needs work. Many projects do this kind
> of thing, sometimes they put 'RFC/PATH' to say that they are not
> supposed to be merged.

It's being done the exact same way around here.

--
Baptiste COUDURIER