[FFmpeg-devel] ffmtech to buy mphq some 2tb drives

compn tempn
Thu Oct 7 17:43:09 CEST 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:23:57 -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
>On 10/06/2010 10:21 PM, compn wrote:
>> in a stunning act of charity, the ff foundation has decided to buy some
>> terabytes for incoming because no one cares to delete samples anymore.
>>
>> please get right on this. buy more hds, ignore the space nazis.
>>
>> no i dont want to delete samples or bug devs for which samples to save
>> and which to toss off the boat. just buy some drives and get it over
>> with. throwing hardware at the problem will solve a lot of time wasted
>> by root, carl, me and all of the users, because we have tried and failed
>> to come to an agreement about incoming sorting. or we agreed and failed
>> to have enough time to implement it.
>>
>> new plan:
>> buy 2 2tb drive every x years
>> retire oldest drive every x years
>>
>> also ffmtech.org could do with some html.
>
>Your email confuses me, possibly because of shifting verb tenses. I
>can't tell if this is a proposal, a request, or it is an announcement
>that something has already been agreed upon and/or done.

thats because my email is all three at once!
incoming is 100% full.

i'm not involved with ffmtech so:
its a faux announcement, intended to troll someone into action
it hasnt been agreed upon or done.
root has replied on irc that in no uncertain terms are we to get more
free space unless we 'clean up incoming'.

i really dont want to turn this into a project vs root issue. my next
proposal is to make a news entry on ffmpeg.org asking for someone to
host incoming (via donation or ffmtech purchase) for us on another
server.

the problem is simple:
only a few people care about incoming being sorted.
no one has the free time to sort it.
devels require samples to fix bugs
if incoming is full, sample uploading slows almost to a stop.
devels would rather fix bugs than sort incoming

i'm not blaming anyone. just trying to find easy solutions.

-compn