[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Separating the RTSP muxer/demuxer and SDP demuxer

Josh Allmann joshua.allmann
Fri Oct 8 00:19:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 7 October 2010 03:01, Martin Storsj? <martin at martin.st> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, the RTSP demuxer, muxer and the SDP demuxer are quite tightly
> coupled, forcing the dependencies of the SDP demuxer to be built even if
> only the RTSP muxer is desired, and vice versa.
>
> A quick recap of what the three muxers/demuxers do and their actual
> dependencies:
>
> - The RTSP muxer speaks with a RTSP server, using common code for sending
> ?and parsing RTSP requests. On setup, it creates chained RTP muxers for
> ?each stream, adding a dependency on the RTP muxers.
>
> - The RTSP demuxer speaks with a RTSP server, using common code for
> ?sending and parsing RTSP requests. When the SDP description is received,
> ?it parses it and creates RTP depacketizers for this, using the rtpdec*
> ?code.
>
> - The SDP demuxer doesn't speak with any RTSP server, but is given a SDP
> ?file directly. It parses this and sets the connections up just like the
> ?RTSP demuxer, though, and uses the rtpdec* code.
>
> All of the three use the same RTSPState struct as priv_data.

The biggest problem, IMO, is that the dependencies specify a
topological ordering (rtp > sdp > rtsp), but the code does not respect
that. Mostly this is because of common/shared code, but things are
getting leaky (eg, we do some RTCP handling in the RTSP layer). This
suggests a larger refactoring may be useful soon.

> The attached patch splits the current code from rtsp.c and rtspenc.c into
> the following files:
>
> [...]
> rtprecv.c ? ?- functions for receiving RTP packets, shared by the RTSP and
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? SDP demuxers

Somehow I am not keen on the naming, since it is not being used by
RTP. rtspsdpcommon.c is the best I can think of, but it's wordy.

Also, I think rtsp_fetch_packet could be factored into the RTP layer
but that is beyond the scope of this patch. That would also cleanly
separate the SDP common code from this file.

> So, what do you think? Is splitting it this way worthwhile, or does it
> just separate the code too much, making it harder to follow when the
> control flow jumps around between all of the files?

I think this split is a necessary, if woolly, step forward.

Josh