[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libavfilter and libmpcodecs

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sat Oct 9 20:54:59 CEST 2010

On date Saturday 2010-10-09 20:05:12 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 07:23:59PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > On date Saturday 2010-10-09 19:11:29 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > > On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 06:51:23PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Code ported from other projects must not be cosmtically reformated because
> > > it makes merging changes between trees impossible, that is unless both sides
> > > are identically reformated or one is removed and replaced by using the other
> > > (tabs are the exception because we cant commit them)
> >
> > I don't think that's much of an issue as the code is not mechanically
> > moved, so a patch against one file cannot be mechanically applied to
> > the other file, and manual intervention is required anyway.
>
> the correct way is to mechanically copy all files and spend 5 days writing
> a wraper to load libmpcodecs filters.
> you spend 2 days for each of the 76 filters, which is half a year work
> i dont mind honestly if you port all and format them pretty in K&R but i
> think this is the much harder way.
> So if you like we can continue with this patch here and i can take another
> look at it or we can forget that and work on a wraper?
> (filters like crop/scale are different of course they are fundamental enough
>  so we want them truly ported and not used over a wraper)

I also want to know about what the MPlayer guys plans are. Are they
going to drop libmpcodecs and use libavfilter instead? In this case I
believe it makes no sense to write a wrapper which will be dropped
anyway.

On the other hand I'd like to avoid dependencies, and rewriting the
libmpcodecs filters has its advantages (cleaner code and closer
integration with FFmpeg/libavfilter) and in the case libmpcodecs will
be dropped (at least for filtering purposes) we'll have less code
duplication (and possibly less work for me).
Also note that not all the filters need to be ported, so they're way
less than the number you mentioned, and during the libavfilter design
stage some of the MPlayer devs (Ar'pi IIRC) even volunteered for
porting some of the filters.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fierce and Funny Mind-dumbing Peaceless Encoding/decoding Geek