[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Some ideas for roundup

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Oct 10 13:23:07 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 08:03:33AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni <at> gmx.at> writes:
>
> > First question is which part exactly is eating all the cpu cycles?
> > did you try some ps/top more eloborate profiling?
> >
> > also which roundup urls cause most cpu load?
>
> Opening an issue and opening the search page takes very long, searching is fast,
> opening the page that changes attachment properties is very fast.
>
> My suspicion was always that reading one of the top-down-menus content from the
> data-base takes too long.

This could be tested easily by just placing only such a menu 10 times on a page
and nothing else.
If generating a page with such a menu performs hundreads of individual querries
(that is 1+ for each entry of the list) then it makes sense that its slow
btw is there some way to see what database querries are performd?

Either way, if its the menus they can be replaced by static html that is
regenerated periodically (cronjob) or when it changes.

And yes i hate these webapps that are based on dozen odd high level layers
each adding a O(n) factor so that what should be blazing fast on a 1mhz 16bit
cpu is dead slow on a several ghz multiprocessor system

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.