[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Add a demuxer directly handling rtp:// URLs by inspecting their content

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Oct 10 20:17:05 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 06:37:03PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On 09/10/10 16:55, Martin Storsjo wrote:
>> ---
>> This is an initial attempt at creating a demuxer that is able to play back
>> some RTP streams without needing a SDP description of them.
>
> I now see a bug on roundup asking for this, but... Is this really a good
> idea? AFAIK, "rtp://..." URLs are not standardised in any way, and the
> only standard way to identify an RTP session is an SDP. I think that
> something like this patch can work in some cases, but will fail in some
> other cases (I believe there are a lot of them - basically, the only
> case in which this can work reliably is TS over RTP...) and will end up
> confusing the users even more...

I do like the idea too, but i see the issue you point at.
Maybe it could be disabled by default or something?

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato