[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-devel-irc] IRC log for 2010-09-08

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Sep 9 23:52:33 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 05:22:10PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Reimar D?ffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > That's silly, yasm will not automatically switch between register
> > and memory storage, if you don't care about that feature you
> > can just replace "g" by either "r" or "m" and you don't have that
> > issue either.
>
> Let's not make this into a yasm vs inline asm debate please.

That wasn't the intention, but I do mind when the arguments seem
silly to me.

> We have
> more people willing to write, understanding and maintaining yasm code
> than inline asm.

That's fine. I don't object to this being ported to yasm
(though IIRC the MPlayer and libavfilter code are supposed
to stay as similar as possible for now which might make this
a bit annoying to do), however the only way it makes this one simpler
is by reducing the number of possible solutions.
You don't need to use yasm to not use completely optional inline asm features.

> Our inline asm has huge issues on Win64, many which
> cannot be easily fixed.

That I just don't see.

> Nobody bothered to fix it for years.

To be honest I think that's simply because it's Win64
(i.e. nobody cares the slightest).
Most of those years I'd say nobody bothered to create
a suitable compilation environment for Win64.
I think Cygwin still doesn't exist for it to this day.